The 13th Convocation of the Institute was held on 21st January. Dr. G. Athithan, Distinguished Scientist and Director General, Micro Electronic Devices & Computational Systems, DRDO, Bengaluru, was the Chief Guest and Prof. Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay, Director, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, was the Guest of Honour. 349 students received their degrees, including six gold medal.
Zarana Parekh (B.Tech Hons. in ICT with minor in Computational Science 2013), has been selected as a recipient of the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship Asia Pacific 2016.
Prof. (Dr.) Hemant A. Patil received NVIDIA Hardware Grant Titan X GPU for Speech Research.
The Faculty of Life Sciences, The University of Manchester, UK has invited Ms. Vandana Ravindran, PhD Scholar as Visiting Researcher under the University's Program for visiting academics. She will be at the University in March 2016 conducting research under the supervision of Prof David Robertson and Dr Jean-Marc Schwartz, faculty members of the Faculty of Life Sciences.
Tata Consultancy Services has selected Ms. Jainisha Sankhavara, PhD Scholar, DA-IICT for 'TCS Scholar Programme' with effect from the academic year 2015-16 for a period of four years. This prestigious program entitles her for attractive fellowship, contingency grant and travel support to present research papers at national and international conferences. Her mentor/guide is Prof. Prasenjit Majumder.
DA-IICT and the University of Evora (Universidade de Evora), Portugal signed a five year MoU for academic exchange, collaboration in teaching and research and exchange of scientific materials and publications for advancement and dissemination of learning. Under the provisions of the MoU, DA-IICT is one of the Asian University Partners with the University of Evora in the Erasmus Mundus Fellowship Program of the European Commission.
ICICI Bank: Signed MoU to participate at the ICICITrinity Program. The Program encourages and promotes students' talent with a view to bring forth new ideas and innovations which can be applied in the banking/finance industry and help in their commercialization. The Program supports final year UG/PG students of five students team. In case of PhD Scholars, single Scholar can seek support.
- Training course on Information and Communication Technology Management for UN-FAO and MEW officials of Afghanistan held from May 23 to June 3, 2016 at DA-IICT.
The Gender Studies Group, DA-IICT organized a talk on 18th March, 2016 by Prof. Veena Talwar Oldenburg, Professor of History, Baruch College, City University of New York.
Title of the Talk: Afternoons in the Kotha: Exploring the World of the Courtesans of Lucknow.
TCS Research Interaction held on 12th March, 2016.
Continuing Education Program for professionals from Satellite Application Center, ISRO, Ahmadabad. Programme on Statistical Signal Processing conducted during March 8 - 12, 2016 (Tuesday-Saturday)
A Delegation of European Research and Innovation officials comprising of Science, Technology and Innovation Counselors, Attaches and Directors of Institutes from European countries, headed by Mr Denis DAMBOIS, Head of Research and Innovation, EU Delegation to India, visited DA-IICT on 23rd February, 2016. The delegation held discussions with the Director and other officials on DA-IICT's academic, research, innovation activities and new initiatives with a view to explore opportunities for international collaboration and exchange.
Dr. Brian A. Barsky, Professor, University of California, Berkeley, working in computer graphics and geometric modeling, optometry and vision science visited DA-IICT and neighboring institutions during 29th Jan to 7th Feb 2016 as 'ACM Distinguished Speaker'. He delivered a series of lectures and also interacted with faculty and students of DA-IICT
- Continuing Education Program for professionals of Satellite Application Center, ISRO, Ahmadabad. Programme on C-Language conducted during January 19 - 23, 2016 (Tuesday-Saturday)
- 67th Republic Day Celebrations @ DAIICT
- Youth Run 2016 in association with Gandhinagar Municipal Corporation for supporting Women Empowerment,Swachh Gandhinagar and the concept of Smart Cities.
- 12th Annual convocation of DA-IICT was held on 16th January, 2016. Dr. A. Shivathanu Pillai, Founder CEO and MD, BrahMos Aerospace, Honorary Distinguished Professor ISRO, was the 'Chief Guest'. Dr.Hiromichi Fujisava, Corporate Chief Scientist, Hitachi was the 'Guest of Honour'.
- Dr.Hiromichi Fujisava, Corporate Chief Scientist, Hitachi visited DA-IICT during 10th Jan to 16th Jan, 2016. He interacted with Faculty and students to explore possibility of Joint Research collaborations with DA-IICT community.
- CEP workshop on Geometrical Interpretation of Mathematical Concepts, January 8-10, 2016
- Our Ph.D. student and DeitY TTS Phase-II project staff member Ms. Tanvina B. Patel has got Travel Grant of 1000 USD from IEEE Signal Processing Society to present research paper in ICASSP 2016
- DA-IICT as DeitY TTS Phase-II consortium partner contributes to the development of TTS in Gujarati language for Digital India Program
- Student Team comprising of three B.Tech (Honours) with minor in Computational Science students: Shaleen K Gupta, Sishtala C Prasad and Visharad Bansal has secured third place in IEEE HiPC 2015 Student Parallel Programming Challenge Supported by Intel and NVIDIA.
- National Workshop on Big Data Analytics, December 7, 2015
- DeitY TTS Phase-II Team (Ms. Tanvina B. Patel and Dr. Hemant A. Patil) at DA-IICT as participant has topped in a worldwide competition, "ASV Spoof Challenge 2015 during INTERSPEECH 2015, Dresden, Germany".
- Signed a five year MoU with the University of Swaziland (UoS) on 29th October, 2015 for academic exchange, research and faculty development of UoS for the advancement and dissemination of learning.
- In pursuit of closer academic and research collaboration, scholarships and dissemination of knowledge to generate mutual benefits, DA-IICT has signed a fresh five year MoU with the Space Application centre (SAC), Ahmedabad on 23rd October, 2015.
- DA-IICT became part of the 'Shodhganga Scheme' (repository of dissertations) by signing an MOU with INFLIBNET On 20th August, 2015
- DA-IICT is now an approved NVIDIA GPU Research Center
- The University of Dayton, USA and DA-IICT have signed an Agreement for Co-operation on 11th August 2015 to develop academic exchange and co-operation in teaching and research.
- WORLD LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE on DA-IICT's Landscaping
- IEEE recognizes Dr. Anil Roy and his students R&D work on Rehabilitation
- PhD student Milind Padalkar has been offered sponsorship by XRCI to present research paper at BMVC 2015
- PhD student Parth Mehta has got Travel Grant from DAAD to attend Autumn School for Information Retrieval and Information Foraging (ASIRF) 2015
- Kesha Shah (201101228) won Red Hat Women in Open Source Award 2015.
- DataQuest Survey ranks DA-IICT as Fourth top Private T-School in India.
- PhD student Ms. Anshu Chittora has received best paper award during ICBAPS 2015, Malaysia.
- 11 students of DA-IICT selected for Google Summer of Code 2015.
- 'The Week 2015 Survey' ranks DA-IICT as seventh top Private T-School in India.
- Our M.Tech student Mr. Pramod B. Bachhav has got Travel Grant from IEEE Signal Processing Society Travel Grant to present research paper in ICASSP 2015.
- PhD student Sanket Patel bagged first prize in M V Chauhan All India Student Paper Contest 2014, organized by IEEE India.
- Our B.Tech students Vaibhavi Desai and Kesha Shah bagged 2014 Google Anita Borg Memorial Asia Pacific scholarship
- Shri Vinod Mall, PhD candidate at DA-IICT, received the "President Police Medal for Distinguished Service"
- Campus Placement Drive 2015-16 @ DA-IICT
- Workshop on Information and Communication Technology for Development
- DA-IICT - TCS Academia Industry Joint Research Seminar
- 3 day workshop on Geometrical interpretation of mathematical concepts - starting from July 17th, 2015
- 'The Week 2015 Survey' ranks DA-IICT as seventh top Private T-School in India.
- Workshop on Patent Filing and IPR.
- DA-IICT wins 2010 IEEE WIE Affinity Group of the Year Award
Women In Engineering (WIE) wing of the IEEE Student Branch at DAIICT has won the reputed 2010 IEEE WIE Affinity Group of the Year Award.
The WIE group was founded in the year 2009 at DA-IICT and it has since then, actively been conducting activities to promote the participation of women in technology and engineering related challenges. In 2010, the affinity group took upon themselves to increase the outreach of their activities. The WIE group of DA-IICT has organized many technical workshops to offer a platform where people from academia and industry interacted with engineers and scientists of tomorrow and shared knowledge with them. Apart from these, interestingly, this group also conducted career counselling sessions for not-so-privileged students and several talks by NGOs. The WIE team of DA-IICT is led by its Chair Hetaswi Vankani and the Vice-Chair Shirali Desai, both from the final year BTech students. The entire IEEE Student Branch strives to break the gender barrier that prevents women from either pursuing career in engineering or performing to the best of their ability.
- Our M.Des. student, Akash Kamthan, made a national level entry in "INDIA -Future of Change" Poster Design Contest.
Top 10 National Category"Click"
Top 26 National Category
Akash Kamthan, a student of M. Des 2009, selected among the top 10 in the first INDIA Future of Change Poster Design contest. He submitted two posters in "Visual Design" category for the subject "Your Impression of India". Out of the two posters, his one poster "Click" got selected among the top 26 and other, "Inequality" acquired its place among top 10 National category and top 20 International Category. All top twenty winners (including overseas winners) win a trip around India on the Tata Jagriti Yatra.
- The jury of the 2011Linguapax Award (individuals) has decided to grant the prize to Prof. Ganesh Devy. This award is granted every year to acknowledge the outstanding work of linguists, researchers and activists in the preservation of linguistic diversity and revitalization of linguistic communities in terms of the promotion of peace.The official announcement of this award was made on 21 February, International Mother Language Day.
- DA-IICT receives the "Outstanding Engineering Institute (West) Award"
- Youth Run 2011: Believe.Change.Run.
- Shakti Singh bagged the prize of best actor in a stage show
- A certain number of university/school toppers are invited by the MHRD to
witness the Republic Day Parade from the Prime Minister's Box. For the
Republic Day Parade 2011, 100 seats in the Prime Minister's Box are
earmarked for these toppers. DA-IICT was also invited to recommend a maximum of ten toppers
(UG + PG) for this purpose. Out of the ten recommended names, the following two students have been invited by the Department of Higher Education, MHRD for the same.
DA-IICT has been awarded the "Outstanding Engineering Institute (West)" by the Star News. The award is to recognise institutions that are innovative, modern and industry oriented in their curriculum in Engineering and Technology. The award was received, on behalf of the Institute, by the Dean (Academic Programs), Prof. Samaresh Chatterji, at a ceremony held on 12 February 2011 in Taj Lands Ends Mumbai.
To Kick off 'Synapse', DA-IICT's annual techno-cultural festival, a 8km & 5km marathon was organized by the institute on the 20th Feb which witnessed over 900+ participants running together to support various causes the student community has endeavored to make a difference in. N.G.O.'s, schools, other institutes and faculty members joined hands together to participate in the initiative.
Our final year student Shakti Singh bagged the prize of best actor in stage acting in a recently concluded 3-day theatre fest at MICA. The festival, based on the theme 'It's all Greek to me!', saw outstanding performances by theatre groups from four colleges. While Maitreyi College's play 'O Ibsen' bagged the first place, DA-IICT's 'Four Year Transform' truly won the hearts of the audience. This play highlighted the plight of engineering students in residential campus. It was full of comic and tragic satires, along with many lively subtle dialogues that recreated the emotions and freaky nature of lives of this growing age.
- Vivek Goswami (200701026)
- Rachit Mittal (200701226)
Congratulations to them for making us proud.
DA-IICT alumnus (BTech 2008 batch) Sumit Dagar has been selected for one of the most prestigious TED Fellow for the year 2011 for his design contribution for the Visually impaired. Most of this work was done while he was at NID Bangalore, from where he graduated this year. TED officially announced this at http://www.ted.com/pages/view/id/552. He is one amongst 20 world changing innovators selected for TED 2011 fellows. Sumit will be presenting his innovation in California at TED 2011 main conference in Feb 2011.
BTech 3rd year Students from DA-IICT (Parth C Mehta, Poojan Shah, Vedang Patel, Pavas Kant, Darsh Shah, Maullik Padia, Naman Mulay, Kedar Bhatt, Shirali Desai, Hetaswi Vankani, Mohit Kothari) had a very exciting and pleasant interaction with our Past President Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam during 'IGNITE 2010 Award Function' held at IIM-A this month (Dec 2010). These students were working with National Innovation Foundation for developing some workable prototypes of some of the innovative ideas of kids who were awarded by Dr. Kalam on this occasion. These prototypes were good crowd-pullers during this event.
On the occasion of World Environment Day 5th June,2009, Gujarat Ecological and Environment Research (GEER) foundation organized an inter college on the spot debate competition DAIICT' team comprising of final year B.Tech students, Animesh Agarwal and Anubhuti Jain secured the first position.
At the Microsoft Imagine Cup 2009 National Finals held 6th and 7th May in Bangalore, a team of four DA-IICT students, Mohit Jain, Aakar Gupta, Navkar Samdaria and Praveen Shekhar, finished as second-runner up. They presented an innovative healthcare learning platform for children in low-income regions. The team was guided by Dr. Joyojeet Pal, Research Associate at the University of Washington, Seattle.
Hitesh Sabnani, Mohit Maheshwari and Prashant Garg (all BTech 2006 batch) under their faculty mentor Prof. Prabahat Ranjan won the first prize for their project named CePal- An infrared based remote control for cerebral palsy patients.Demo
625 students from 90 Institutes in India participated and 206 abstracts were submitted across 18 Technical Themes. Final round was held at Delhi on May 15th for Top 5 projects submitted. The winning students were awarded HP Mini and Faculty Mentor HP all-in-one.
Project Brief : A light weight, cost effective universal remote control primarily designed for Spastic Cerebral Palsy patients and for people with stiff joints. It can be used to control Infrared (IR) based equipments and operates using hand tilts rather than button pressing.
Travel grant awarded by Microsoft Research India to Prof. Manish Gupta and three UG students, Anshul Chaurasia, Sudhanshu Dwivedi and Prateek Jain, for paper presentation at FNANO 2009 conference from 20 -24th April held in Snowbird, Utah. Prateek Jain attended and presented the paper. The paper by Prof. Gupta and his student co-authors is entitled XTile: An Error Correction Package for DNA Self Assembly. Download XTile.
Designing Digital Games for Rural Children: A Study of Traditional Village Games in India. Matthew Kam, Akhil Mathur, Anuj Kumar, and John Canny is accepted in the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’09), held at Boston, Massachusetts, April 4-9, 2009.
Another paper 'Improving Literacy in Rural India: Cellphone Games in an After-School Program.' by Matthew Kam, Anuj Kumar, Shirley Jain, Akhil Mathur, and John Canny is accepted in the IEEE/ACM Conference on Information and Communication Technology and Development (ICTD ’09), held at Doha (Qatar), April 17-19, 2009
Akhil Mathur and Anuj Kumar are associated with MILLEE (Mobile and Immersive Learning for Literacy in Emerging Economies) which is a highly focused research and development project jointly contributed by students and faculty of Carnegie Mellon University, University of California (Berkeley) and DA-IICT. It aims to develop various cellphone-based applications that enable rural and underprivileged children of the developing countries to acquire literacy and language skills in immersive, game-like environments.more...
Nikil D. Dutt is a Chancellor’s Professor at the University of
California, Irvine, with academic appointments in the CS and EECS
departments. He is an alumnus of BITS, Pilani (B.E., Mech Engg), the
Pennsylvania State University (M.S., Computer Science) and the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Ph.D., Computer Science).
Professor Dutt’s research interests are in embedded systems, electronic
design automation, computer architecture, optimizing compilers, system
specification techniques, distributed systems, and formal methods. He
has co-authored seven books namely "High-Level Synthesis: Introduction
to Chip and System Design", "Memory Issues in Embedded Systems-on-Chip:
Optimizations and Exploration",
"Memory Architecture Exploration for Programmable Embedded Systems",
"SPARK: A Parallelizing Approach to the High-Level Synthesis of Digital
Circuits" all from Kluwer Academic Publishers, "Functional Validation
of Programmable Embedded Architectures: A Top-Down Approach"
(Springer-Verlag), “On-chip Communication Architectures: Current
Practice, Research and Future Trends” and “Processor Description
Languages: Applications and Methodologies”
both from Morgan Kaufman/Elsevier Systems-on-Silicon Series.
Professor Dutt currently serves as Editor-in-Chief of ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems (TODAES) and as Associate Editor of
ACM Transactions on Embedded Computer Systems (TECS) and of IEEE Transactions on VLSI Systems (TVLSI).
He is a Fellow of the IEEE, an ACM Distinguished Scientist, an IFIP Silver Core awardee.
One of the emerging fields in VLSI Design is that of High Speed Device design. The "Intensive Workshop on High Speed Semiconductor Devices(IWHSSD)" mainly targets this aspect which is being organized by IEEE Student Branch, DA-IICT. The motive of the workshop is to familiarize participants with the field, its basics, design and modeling aspects involved, and fabrication details.more....
IEEE Student Branch, DA-IICT organized the "One-Day Workshop on Embedded System Development and Robotics" hosted by DA-IICT, Gandhinagar. The workshop is intended to involve students in a cohesive drive in the academic world towards excellence in Embedded Systems and Robotics.more....
The first biennial National Conference on Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, Image Processing and Graphics (NCVPRIPG) will be held at Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India. Indian Unit for Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence IUPRAI, the Indian chapter of International Association for Pattern Recognition IAPR, is the co-ordinating association for the conference. NCVPRIPG-2008 is being organised jointly by the Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DA-IICT) and IEEE Gujarat Section. more...
The Two Days Symposium on Satellite Communication Systems hosted by DAIICT, Gandhinagar, with the support of the IEEE Gujarat Section and IEEE Student Branch, DAIICT purports to involve students in a cohesive drive with academia and industry towards excellence in Satellite Communication Systems. more....