|Submission of online Application Form commences on||15 October 2019|
|Submission of online Application Form closes on||25 November 2019|
|Entrance Examination, interview and announcement of results||06 December 2019|
|Commencement of classes||TBA|
DA-IICT invites applications from bright scholars interested in pursuing research in ICT and other allied domains. The doctoral program at DA-IICT is an intense program geared towards preparing students for careers both in academia and industry. Candidates interested in ICT & allied disciplines, Mathematical & Computational Science, or in interdisciplinary areas, are encouraged to apply.
The details of the faculty members with their research interests can be found here. Candidates are advised to interact and discuss their prospective research supervision with faculty members over email and/or in person.
The PhD program comprises of both course and research work. The amount of coursework one has to undergo depends on the candidates’ past background and the research one is engaged in. The research work to be undertaken for PhD must include original contribution to the knowledge reserve culminating in a thesis to be submitted for the doctoral degree. The detailed Program structure, academic requirement, and comprehensive examination information can be found here.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
DA-IICT admits doctoral students under four categories:
|Category||Educational Qualification/Eligibility Criteria||Selection Criteria|
|A. ICT and related domains||M.Tech./M.E./M.C.A./M.Sc./M.Phil./B.Tech/B.E. or equivalent degree in ICT / CS / EC / IT / EE / IN / Mathematics / Statistics / Physics / Bioinformatics / Electronics or other appropriate disciplines with 60% marks or its equivalent in the qualifying degree as per the norms set by degree awarding Institute/University.||1. Direct Interview for candidates with valid NET-JRF/DST Inspire/PM scholarship/Visvesvaraya PhD scheme at the time of application.
2. Shortlisting based on entrance test to be conducted at DA-IICT Gandhinagar and final selection on the basis of personal interview at DA-IICT Gandhinagar.
|B. Computational Science, Mathematics and Physical Sciences||M.Sc./M.Tech./M.Phil./B.Tech./B.E. or equivalent degree in Engineering Physics / Computational Science / Computer Science / Scientific Computing / Physics / Mathematics / Electronics / Bioinformatics or other appropriate disciplines with 60% marks or its equivalent as per the norms set by the degree awarding Institute/University.|
|C. Sponsored candidates||Educational qualifications as mentioned in the category (A, B ) above with three years of relevant experience.
The candidates should be sponsored by an R&D organization with which DA-IICT has established over five years of cooperative research programme or has signed an MOU.
The candidate who intends to apply in this category should forward his/her application through proper channel, that is, a forwarding certificate/letter by the head of the department/institute.
DA-IICT reserves right to relax eligibility criteria for the sponsored category for deserving candidates based on candidate’s research profile and experience.
|Direct Interview at DA-IICT Gandhinagar|
|D. External (part-time)
||Educational qualifications as mentioned in the category (A, B) above with three years of relevant experience.
The candidates should be working in an R&D organization or university/institution.
The candidate who intends to apply in this category should forward his/her application through proper channel, that is, forwarding certificate/letter by the head of the department/institute. Find here Sponsorship certificate template link (PDF).
The candidate who intends to apply in this category should forward a No Objection certificate. Find here No Objection certificate template link (PDF).
DA-IICT reserves right to relax eligibility criteria for the external category for deserving candidates based on candidate’s research profile and experience.
|1. Direct Interview for candidates with valid NET-JRF/DST Inspire/PM scholarship/Visvesvaraya PhD scheme at the time of application.
2. Shortlisting based on entrance test to be conducted at DAIICT Gandhinagar and selection on the basis of personal interview at DAIICT Gandhinagar.
- The guidelines and syllabus for PhD entrance test can be found here.
- Candidates with M.Sc./M.C.A., unless they have a subsequent M. Phil. degree will be considered equivalent to candidate with a B.Tech./B.E. degree and are required to fulfil (additional) course and research requirements.
- DA-IICT reserves right to relax eligibility criteria for the sponsored category for deserving candidates based on candidate’s research profile and experience.
- The decision of the Competent Authorities of DA-IICT regarding eligibility of any candidate shall be final.
At the time of admission an amount of Rs.40,000/- (Rs.20,000/- towards tuition fee for the first Semester and Rs.20,000/- towards caution deposit) is to be paid by way of bank draft drawn in favour of ‘DA-IICT,’ payable at Ahmedabad. The registration fee is payable at the time of registration and hostel rent on allotment of the hostel room.
|Tuition Fee||Rs. 20,000 per Semester|
|Registration Fee||Rs. 2,500 per Semester|
|Hostel Rent||Rs. 18,000 to Rs. 20,000 per semester depending upon the hostel block in which the room is allotted|
|Caution Deposit||Rs. 20,000 (Refundable at the end of the program)|
*Subject to revision.
Financial assistance: The following is a summary of financial assistance provided by the institute to the non-sponsored category students.
DA-IICT fellowship: All those admitted as full-time PhD students will be eligible for financial support (stipend) in the form of Teaching Assistantship (TA)/Research Assistantships (RAs). The fellowship is for a maximum duration of four years after passing the comprehensive examination or clearing of Synopsis, whichever is earlier. The responsibilities associated with the teaching / research assistantship includes conducting laboratory courses and tutorials for undergraduate students, assisting in teaching, research projects, and academic administration.
- The stipend is Rs. 21,000/- per month till the end of the semester in which the candidate clears the comprehensive examination.
- After passing the comprehensive examination, for the first two years the stipend would be Rs. 25000 per month. For the next two years the stipend will be raised by Rs. 3000 per month.
- Candidates with either M. Phil, valid NET-JRF, top rank in University/Institute in their qualifying degree would be eligible for DAIICT fellowship of Rs. 30000 per month after passing the comprehensive examination.
TCS Research Fellowship: The Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has recognized DA-IICT as one of the Institutions to administer the TCS Research Scholar Program. This prestigious program provides attractive doctoral fellowships to full-time students pursuing PhD programs in selected areas. The eligibility and other details are as follows:
The scheme is open for Ph D students in their first year of the program. Students who are within 28 years of age, having a first class throughout their education, and wish to pursue research in broad areas of Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology and Software Engineering.
Period: For a maximum of four years or submission of thesis, whichever is earlier.
Fellowship: Rs. 28,000/- per month for the first two years and Rs.32,000/- per month for the next two years. Other Incentives are:
- A contingency of Rs.1,00,000/- is available in first year for use during the tenure of studies.
- A student enrolled as TCS Research Scholar is eligible to receive support for paper presentation in one International refereed conference, held outside India, and two National/International refereed conferences, held in India, during her/his tenure.
Selection: Institute will invite applications from students who are offered PhD admission, and recommend suitable candidates to TCS. TCS reserves the right of final selection for the award of the fellowship.
CSIR-NET Fellowship: Candidates who have qualified through the NET examination and admitted to the program can avail their CSIR fellowships.
Other Fellowships: Candidates who have been selected for DST Inspire / PM Scholarship / Visweshvaraya PhD scheme and other appropriate fellowships and admitted to the program can avail their fellowship.
- Submit online application form by clicking on the link given below. Application fee (non-refundable) is Rs. 1200/- (Rupees One thousand two hundred only) Click here to apply online.
- The Candidate has to satisfy the eligibility criteria in order for her/his application to be considered for admission into the PhD. program.
- Applicants who have not been invited directly for the interview are required to appear for DAIICT’s PhD Entrance Examination.
- The candidates shortlisted based on either their performance in the DA-IICT PhD entrance test OR invited directly for interview, have to appear for personal interview. In the interview, the candidates will be evaluated by a panel of expert faculty on foundational as well as specialized topics of their background and research interests. For this purpose, the candidates have to submit a one page statement of purpose as a part of their application. Final merit list for admission into the program will be prepared based on the written examination (wherever applicable) and/or the interview.
- The candidates who have accepted admission offers will be notified to appear for registration, followed by document verification, payment of fees and on confirmation of admission, the orientation program.
Final merit list of confirmed and wait-list candidates based on their performance in the entrance examination will be posted on the website of Institute. Offer/intimation letter for admission will be sent by the institute through post and/or email to candidates accordingly.
Phone: (079) 68261574/68261586 (Available Mon–Fri 9:00 am – 6:00 pm)