Gender Cell (Committee against Sexual Harassment)
The DA-IICT Gender Cell is based on the guidelines set up by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in 2013. It is a permanent cell and with a Committee that consists of faculty members, elected student representatives, staff members, counselor, a Gynaecologist, a lawyer, and a member from an NGO. In order to ensure an inclusive and a safe campus, the Gender Cell at DA-IICT implements those guidelines to address sexual harassment, violence, discrimination and ragging against community members. The Cell is proactive in developing a conducive environment on the campus for all members of the community.
Since 2003, the DA-IICT Gender Cell has been working towards establishing gender equity on campus. Every year the Cell conducts an orientation programme on Gender Sensitization for students.
For the academic year 2022-2023, and until further notice, the Committee consists of the following members:
Prof. Minal Bhise, Convenoriconminal_bhise[at]daiict[dot]ac[dot]in icon(+91) 079-68261548
Prof. Shefali Jha, Co-Convenoriconshefali_jha[at]daiict[dot]ac[dot]in icon(+91) 079-68261709
Prof. Rutu Parekh, Warden - HOR-Women , (ex-officio)iconrutu_parekh[at]daiict[dot]ac[dot]in icon(+91) 079-68261553
Dean (Academic Programs), Member, (ex-officio)icondean_ap[at]daiict[dot]ac[dot]in icon(+91) 079-68261617
Dr. Sheetal Punjabi (Member), Gynaecologist
Nimisha Sharma (Member), Advocate High Court of Gujarat
Arati Samajpati (Member), Parivartan Trust (NGO)
Dr. Nandini Banerjee, DA-IICT Counselor, (Member), (ex-officio)iconcounselor[at]daiict[dot]ac[dot]in icon(+91) 079-68261620
Ms. Geeta Mehta, Chief Accounts Officer, (Member)icongeeta_mehta[at]daiict[dot]ac[dot]in icon(+91) 079-68261565
Tvesha Srivastava (201901182), Member, Student Representative
Prevent discrimination and sexual harassment against members of DA-IICT community, by promoting gender amity among students and employees.
Terms of Reference of the Committee
- Recommend changes and amendments in the Rules and Regulations applicable for employees and students to make them gender just. To lay down procedures for the resolution, settlement and prosecution of acts of discrimination and sexual harassment against members, by the employees and students
- Deal with cases of discrimination and sexual harassment against all members of the community in a time bound manner, aiming and ensuring support to the victim
- Recommend appropriate action against the victimizer.
According to the Supreme Court guidelines sexual harassment can be defined as “unwelcome” sexually determined behaviour (whether directly or by implication) as:
- Physical contact and advances
- Demand or request for sexual favours
- Sexually coloured remarks
- Sharing pornography, displaying pornographic or other offensive or derogatory pictures, cartoons etc
- Or any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature. (Vishaka judgment by the Hon’ble Supreme Court)
Procedure to lodge a complaint
The victim or a third party may lodge a written complaint addressed to the Convenor of the Committee. If the complaint is made to the Director or Executive Registrar or any of the Committee members, they shall forward the same to the Convener of the Gender Cell.