- M.Tech. in CSE with specialization in Data Sciences
- M.Tech. in CSE with specialization in Information Security
This program is offered jointly by IIT Jammu and DA-IICT where the Degree will be awarded by IIT Jammu.
M.Tech.in CSE with specialization in Data Sciences (CS-DS)
The objective of the Data Science (CS-DS) program is to enable students to apply Machine learning and Data analysis technique to solve real-life problems. The course will help students develop Statistical Analysis techniques necessary for tackling such problems. Students will be able to analyze the vast amount of data to cater to the efficient utilization of the Industrial data.
M.Tech. in CSE with specialization in Information Security (CS-IS)
The objective of the Information Security (CS-IS) program is to train students to become information security professionals who can handle the real-life problems and challenges in cybersecurity in the context of big data. Students will be exposed to various techniques and algorithms related to security analytics,cybersecurity, alert analytics, intrusion detection, malware analytics, and related areas.
Information-centric digital society needs to exploit data to bring in (i) transparency, (ii) fairness, (iii) accuracy, and (iv) confidentiality in transforming unstructured data to information(and knowledge) for information mining and decision-making. With the increasing volume of data, organizations are getting more and more interested in unravelling the unintuitive trends that lay hidden within the data. These trends can be connected with valuable business insights that are usable in every department, be it marketing or product development or design.Evidence-based decision making has established itself. Various levels in business have to answer different questions as their company evolves, identify common threads across a multitude of similar questions and the right tools for the right question. Data science is used in business functions such as strategy formation, operational processes,and decision making. It is important to understand that finding patterns within data has to be backed by deep domain knowledge. In other words, insights that are interesting, but do not lead to actionable information, cannot be considered as of any value from the data science perspective. Data scientists help an organization, define the way they collect and treat data. A complementary set of areas are knowledge management, data management, data security, and interaction design. As the need to infer insightful inference from the data grows, so is the requirement to share the data across cross-section of the users increases. However, it is equally essential to ensure the security and privacy of the data with increasing sharing. That is, a trade off between data availability, usability and its security and privacy needs to be maintained. However, the big challenge today is the low skill adoption rate compared to the growth in technology. In other words, there is a huge shortage of data scientists and information security analysts. Therefore, industry and academia need professionals with sound knowledge in data science and information security.
To address the mounting need of high-skilled professionals in these two areas, IIT-Jammuand DA-IICT, Gandhinagar with support from the RC Bose center, ISI, Kolkata are offering a new postgraduate program – MTech in Computer Science and Engineering with Specialization in (i) Data Sciences (CS-DS), and (ii) Information Security (CS-IS). The degree would be conferred by IIT-Jammu while students spend their study semester across the three institutes, depending upon how their research interests align with the research expertise at these three institutes.Specifically, the students are expected to study their first semester at IIT-Jammu, the second at DA-IICT, Gandhinagar. Depending on the nature and need of their dissertation or project, the students would continue their third semester and fourth semester either in DA-IICT, or IIT-Jammu, or at RC Bose center of ISI, Kolkata.
The most important feature of this M.Tech. in CS-DS and CS-IS is that faculties having rich experience and strong research background will teach and mentor the students of the new postgraduate program. The research areas of the faculties of these three institutes span from topics directly associated withdata science and information security, such as Bayesian Learning, Estimation, Data Analytics,Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, Deep Learning, Statistical Methods, Optimization Techniques, Computer Security and Privacy, Cryptography, Coding Theory, Data Mining, and Bioinformatics.
M.Tech.in CS-DS: At the end of the Data Science (CS-DS) program,
- The students will be able to apply the knowledge of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning tools and techniques in the field of Big Data for solving real-world problems.
- The students will learn modelling techniques, key statistical principles, data handling techniques, and will get hands-on experience with large-scale data.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles in the area of Computer Science and Engineering to manage projects in a multidisciplinary environment.
M.Tech. in CS-IS: At the end of the Information Security (CS-IS) program,
- The students will be able to apply the knowledge of security attacks, mechanisms and attributes to understand the importance of information security in real-world applications.
- The students will be able to analyze the security strength of an organization’s information management system, identify the vulnerabilities and suggest solutions to ensure prevention of malicious information access
- The students will be able to gain knowledge of the functioning of the firewalls and other mitigation mechanisms.
- The students would be able to design security software to prevent malicious information access.
- The students would be able to incorporate security in the software development life cycle to be able to design inherent secure solutions as compared to security solutions designed as an afterthought.
The curriculum of this Program is structured with Program Core, Specialization Core, Electives and Dissertation work.Graduation requirement of this program needs a minimum of 58 credits. Out of which 16 credits from Program Core courses; 12 credits from specialization Core courses; 10 credits from electives, and 20 credits from dissertation work. The detailed brochure of the can be found here.
M.Tech. in CS-DS: 18
M.Tech. in CS-IS: 18
B.Tech./B.E in CSE / ECE or M.Sc. in Mathematics/Statistics.
First class or equivalent in respective discipline and a valid GATE score in CS / EC / MA / ST.
Candidates with valid GATE score will be eligible for scholarships as per the MHRD regulations at IIT Jammu.
Application Procedure, Fee Structure and Selection Process
For application procedure, fee structure and selection process, visit at http://iitjammu.ac.in/pg-admissions